tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Garret Wilson <gar...@globalmentor.com>
Subject Re: Apache, Tomcat, WebDAV, and Web Folders... Oh, my!
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:12:13 GMT
Parsons Technical Services wrote:
> It may be that the login request is not getting back to you intact. Do
> you have another app that is protected and triggers a login prompt?

Web Folders works without problems when Tomcat is running on localhost.
The password dialog pops up just fine.

I use Firefox to browse the directory of
http://www.example.com/webapp/webdav/ using GET, which goes through my
WebDAV servlet. Firefox pops up an authentication dialog and, after I
enter the correct username and password, displays a directory list
generated by my WebDAV servlet.

I use DavExplorer 0.90 to open http://www.example.com/webapp/webdav/ .
DavExplorer pops up a DIGEST authentication dialog and, after I enter
the correct username and password, allows me to access the entire WebDAV
tree.

I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 to browse to
http://www.example.com/webapp/webdav/ using HTTP GET. After a dialog
pops up and I enter the correct username and password, the WebDAV
servlet-generated directory list appears.

Still using MS IE 6, I try to open http://www.example.com/webapp/webdav/
as a Web Folder using File|Open... (as Web Folder). IE reports that it
is unable to open the location as a Web Folder---would I like to see the
default view? If I answer in the affirmative, IE sends a GET and shows
me the directory listing.

Why is MS Web Folders doing this strange OPTIONS thing with "/" and
ignoring my 401 Unauthorized HTTP response?

> If all else fails, would form auth over SSL work? Just a thought, yeah I
> know, and so are nightmares.

Form authorization with WebDAV?

But the answer is no---I want to find out what this isn't working.

Thanks anyway!

Garret