tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Anderson <ander...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Problem getting http redirected to https
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:14:56 GMT
James,

When I replied, I failed to notice that you are running tomcat 4.1.  I've
never used 4.1 so I don't know if it used the same connector configuration
syntax.  But, I'm guessing that you need to tell the HTTP connector to
redirect to the HTTPS connector.

- Mark

James_sys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been wrestling with SSL on Tomcat for a while now. Hope you can offer
> some useful pointers.
>
> My problem is around getting http requests auto-redirected to return an
> https response.
>
> I can request https://exampleServer.com:8443/testPage.html and get an
> encrypted response.
>
> However, if I request http://exampleServer.com:8080/testPage.html I see an
> HTTP 500 "internal error" message. I was expecting the server to internally
> redirect the request to https://... and return an encrypted response.
>
> I've configured a security-constraint in web.xml for testPage.html. I've
> checked the servlet and catalina logs but don't see any errors or warnings.
>
> I'm working with Tomcat 4.1.30 on a FreeBSD v4.7 platform. I know these are
> old versions, but I'm constrained by other dependencies in the Production
> environment.
>
> Apologies if this is a common problem - I have checked the archives but
> didn't find what I need.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> James.

Mark Anderson                                voice:703-883-6508
Networking & Distributed Systems Engineer    fax  :703-883-5864
The MITRE Corporation                        email:anderson@mitre.org