tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CGI : environment variables
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:28:27 GMT
Pierrick Brihaye wrote:
> Aswering to myself...
>
> Pierrick Brihaye a écrit :
>
>> I can't find any valuable help in the list archives. The
>> passShellEnvironment init-parameter, which has a very promising name
>> ;-), seems to be applicable to 4.1 releases only
>> (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/cgi-howto.html).
>

> Everything is OK when passShellEnvironment is used with the JDK
> 1.4/Windows 98 unfriendly version 5.5.4. Great !

5.5.4 runs quite happily for me on JDK 1.4 (heck I do all of my 5.5.x
development work on a 1.4 JDK). Can't say the same for Windows 98 - I
use XP.

> Shouldn't the non-support of passShellEnvironment be mentionned in the
> 5.0.x docs ?

That fact it isn't mentioned is a pretty big hint ;).

Seriously, I do not think it is realistic to document everything that
isn't implemented in one version that is in another. It leads to a
unmaintainable mess of documentation.

BTW, I am pretty certain that if you take a cgiservlet.jar from 5.5.x
and replace the one you downloaded with 5.0.x it will work quite happily.

Mark