tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tennessee Leeuwenburg <t.leeuwenb...@bom.gov.au>
Subject Handling HEAD request in servlet
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:48:48 GMT
Hi guys,

I have a problem where the default implementation of HttpServlet doesn't
seem to be handling doHead(request, response) properly. I over-rode the
method, and found the damndest thing happening. The line
"response.setContentLength(length)" is just getting completely ignored.
I can't work it out - it's like the response object is deliberately
preventing me from setting the content-length. I tried
setHeader("Content-Length", length) just in case but still no joy.

Note - this is a repost - the tomcat-dev people said I should post here,
despite this relating to development issues rather than install or
deployment problems, so please don't shoot me! I worked around the
problem by using out.println("Content-Length: length") instead, but it's
still bad that setContentLength() doesn't work, I think.

Help!? Please!

Here's the code snippet :

               FileInputStream inStream = null;
                     inStream = new FileInputStream(ncFile);
               int length = (int)ncFile.length();
               response.setStatus(response.SC_PARTIAL_CONTENT);
               response.setHeader("Accept-Ranges", "bytes");
               response.setContentLength(length);
               response.setHeader("Content-Length-Mimic",
""+(int)ncFile.length());
               response.setHeader("Impossible", "" + length);
               response.setContentType(contentType);
                             out.flush();

Here's what I get back via telnet :

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content