tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Scripted shutdown does not force JVM exit
Date Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:38:03 GMT
The JVM exits when there are 0 non-daemon threads running. Tomcat itself
shuts down fine with this constraint.

If the JVM does not shut down - it is due to bad 3rd party code which creates
non-daemon threads and fail to detect a shutdown.

The UNIX scripts allow you to capture the process id of the JVM. This is done
by setting the environment variable CATALINA_PID to be some file name. Then
if you need to kill the JVM  - just "kill -9 `cat $CATALINA_PID`"

Calling System.exit() has been discussed on tomcat-dev and by vetoed.

-Tim