tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: heap size params on linux
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:13:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:38:04PM -0600, Stephen Charles Huey wrote:
: Our script for installing Tomcat as a service on Windows is down below.
: We're moving to Linux, so I'm wondering where we specify the heap size
: parameters (-Xmx and -Xms) for the Tomcat on Linux.  Would the correct
: place be in the startup.sh file?  Thanks!

Adding to the excellent answers you've already received[1]:

spare yourself upgrade headaches and avoid modifying Tomcat-bundled
files directly.  It's quite easy to write a wrapper script that sets
needed environment variables in such a way that catalina.sh will find
them.  For example:

[excerpt of wrapper script]

	. ${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/container.rc

	case $1 in
	'start')
		${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/startup.sh
		;;

[excerpt from container.rc]

	export JAVA_HOME=.....
	export JAVA_OPTS=....

-QM

[1] = for the archives: "set JAVA_OPTS in catalina.sh"

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com