tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hardik Tank <>
Subject Re: Changing the URL
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:27:31 GMT
Hi Mohit,

For the root application means to access your
application like http://localhost:8080/ do following,

Option 1:
 - Rename webapps/ROOT folder to any other name
 - Rename your application folder in the webapps to

Note: But this is not a proper approach!!

Option 2:
  - In the conf/server.xml file add following entry
for your application,
<Context path="" docBase="PED" debug="0"/>
  - For information on Context refer Tomcat
Configuration manual.

Regarding alias for the host, you can set this only
you have two names configured by your N/W admin in the
DNS entries. Bcs, from the browser it will try to map
IP for the given host name, which will use DNS

To avoid typing port, you can set default port to 80
for your tomcat HTTP connector in conf/server.xml

For SSL, refer tomcat documentation for setup details.

Hope, this will help you somewhat!

--- Passsionate <> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using Tomcat -5.0.25 , i had made an
> application named PED and placed it in the webapps
> so when i type http://localhost:8080/PED . The
> application is working fine. Now what i want is to
> do something so that when i type , the
> application should run. For this i read the Tomcat
> Docs came to know about Alias Tag in HOST. And also
> of appBase attribute form where our applications are
> found. I put the Alias Tag and gave the hello. And
> also changed the appBase attrib. to webapps/PED .
> Now i thought that writing http://hello:8080 would
> start my application but that didn't happened.Even
> only placing the Alias tag and trying
> http://hello:8080/PED didn't work . Please let me
> know about this and also how the port is mapped .
> Also how can i introduce SSL in my appl. Tell me the
> steps or the relevant link.
> I am in immediate need.
> Please help me out.
> Thanks in advance.