tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sean M. Duncan" <s...@ferrosoft.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4 doesn't start http service on Linux?
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:46:34 GMT
My first suggestion would be to set up Apache httpd as the load balancer
using mod_jk.  This will give you much more accurate node availability
detection.  This solution also provides much more flexibility when it
comes to using the session tracking API (session affinity, session
replication or both).

If you are running a "stateless" application or are forced to use BigIP
there is a less than ideal node detection scheme available.

I believe BigIP has the capability of pluggable node detection schemes.
You could set up a low overhead resource within your application context
or the root context. BigIP could then run an HTTP Get against that
resource periodically to ensure that the application is still available
on that node.

I'm sure someone could come up with a better pluggable node detection
scheme, but I haven't really given it to much thought since BigIP is
overkill for most situations and there is a scalable, robust and
infinitely cheaper solution available via mod_jk.