tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: how many connections can tomcat handle?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:54:20 GMT
> We're running Tomcat 4.1.27 on a pretty up-to-date Red Hat 8.  I'm
> wondering what usually determines the number of connections Tomcat can
> handle.  Would it typically be Tomcat breaking first, or just the server
> itself trying to deal with so many connections?  Would it have to do
> with memory, or processing power, or some other physical limitation?

All the above and then some. Others here can give better detail than I on
some of these points but each of these as well as the apps running in Tomcat
have a contribution on the performance of the system. There are some
settings that will limit the number of concurrent connections even if all
other factors will support more:
Max threads
Max file handles
Max connections
Available ports

With the other factors it is a sliding scale and each one affects the other.
So if the app is larger and uses lots of memory then the amount of memory
will affect the max count. More processor will handle more before the system
comes to a halt but if the app is simpler (less processor intensive) more
connections can be handled prior to system meltdown.

One outside consideration is bandwidth. Depending on what is being served
out, or in for that matter, this can be a limitation as well. Just think of
a Quad Xeon 3 Gig w/12 Gig ram on a 56k connection. Yes, ridiculous, but I
am sure it has happened somewhere. Sometimes the simplest things bite you.

Profiling and load testing, I think will be the magic words for the final
answer to how many connections.

Doug