tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Service Runner question
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:15:26 GMT
I am running Tomcat 5.0.28 on my Windows XP machine. When I run a program
called Security Task Manager, which is a more powerful version of the
standard Windows Task Manager, it says that a Windows Process named 'Service
Runner' is using 28.3 MB of my memory. The file name is
e:\Tomcat-5.0.28\bin\tomcat5.exe.

Can anyone tell me what the consequences are if I "Quarantine" it, i.e. if I
stop it from launching itself automatically every time I boot up the
computer? I'm trying to understand how it will impact my testing with Tomcat
and my deployment of servlets to Tomcat from Eclipse 3.0.1 via Sysdeo. I'm
guessing it will keep me from doing any of those things.

If that is correct, what is the proper method to enable those things when I
need to do them, short of making Service Runner a TSR again?

The truth of the matter is that I can go weeks without running Tomcat so I
really don't need it to be a TSR. However, I don't want to shoot myself in
the foot and force myself to reboot every time I need Tomcat. Can anyone
advise me on the best strategy for handling this?

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R.
Hoare