tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Boyer" <>
Subject Re: Does Windows needs special settings?
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:44:18 GMT
Are you using startup.bat to start Tomcat when you receive this error?
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar needs to be in the classpath when
starting tomcat. This gets set in catalina.bat which is involed by
It shouldn't be necessary to do anything special on Windows.
>>> 12/30 12:30 pm >>>
   I'm using CVS to bring in my whole project which includes Tomcat. I
can grab this just fine on any linux implementation and Tomcat will
start, but on Windows I get this message:
E:\---------\bin>catalina run  (Using to get error output)
Using CATALINA_BASE:   e:\----\
Using CATALINA_HOME: e:\---\
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: e:\----\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\progra~1\java\jdk1.5.0
Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
But if I run the Tomcat installer, and actually install Tomcat using the

'Start Tomcat' icon, it starts with no problem. Does the installer do
something different with Windows that I can't just copy the files and
run them? I'd like to keep Tomcat bundled with the rest of the code and
not have to do a special install for Windows.
- Nic.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: