tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nestor Florez" <Nflo...@guhsd.net>
Subject Re: help with html + servlet
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:45:42 GMT
The assign text book is "Beginning java 2", Ivor Horton,
but I was reading one of O'reilly's books about servlets

I am also trying to do the same thing using the Oracle 10g IDE
but I have the same problem.  The thing is in our previous
homework I manage to make jsp files find on TOmcat by putting
my package on the Tomcat5.0\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\
and everything worked great.

Wendy - I will try putting the 2 files in one of the example directories

Ben - I will try your examples. the example says
         "Download SimpleServlet.war   to your TOMCAT_HOME\webapps"
         Should I download this code to my Tomcat5.0\webapps\ROOT
         or Tomcat5.0\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\ directories?

Thanks Wendy and Ben et all,

:-)

Néstor Alberto Flórez Torres

>>> java@wendysmoak.com 12/6/2004 10:30:07 AM >>>
From: "Nestor Florez" <Nflorez@guhsd.net>
> I put my HTML code in the Tomcat 5.0\webapps\ROOT directory and I
> am putting my servlet in the Tomcat
5.0\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\florezn,

Make sure your package statement is correct for that path.

> I am doing this for a homework and part one is supposed to be simple a
HTML file that ask for
> your name and the servlet just display the named enter.  I am just missing
where to put the servlet.
> I was reading a book that said that you put your servlets in the
path/servlets/myservlet, but then you access
> the servlet by using path/servlet/myservlet.

Is this the assigned textbook for your class?  That path is indicative of
the "Invoker Servlet".  You will either need to enable it, which may get you
by for this class, or else configure your servlet in web.xml.

Last time I checked, the Invoker Servlet was still enabled in the 'examples'
webapp.  Try dropping your .class file and html page into webapps\examples\
instead and see if it works.  [I'm still on 4.1, no idea about 5.0.]

--
Wendy Smoak