tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to run servlet for every 30 minutes in Tomcat 4.1.30
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:52:50 GMT
+1

Jack

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:40:59 -0600, Billy Talton <billy.talton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why are you writing a servlet for this?  If the application does not
> use any of the services confined to the Servlet API and Tomcat, just
> write a stand-alone application and setup up a cron job to run it.
> Seems like overkill to me.
>
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:28:49 -0000, Allistair Crossley
> <Allistair.Crossley@qas.com> wrote:
> > no, and I believe doing so it bad practice. use some OS controlled timer like cron
to issue a HTTP call to your servlet. I once wrote a shell script that calls a http address
on the local machine but cannot remember how ;) if you are using oracle then you can setup
this timer thread inside the database itself. don't add a thread into your web application.

~Dakota Jack~

~Native Proverb~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this