tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Display of Static Resources
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:41:35 GMT
Hello,

Looks like you need to read an overview of how web based HTTP
technology works.  Essentially, in the typical and simple case, a
request holding name/value pairs in a request object,
HttpServletRequest in your case, and other information from the client
makes a request and then your application either provides a static
HTML page in the HttpServletResponse object or constructs an HTML page
dynamically from an HttpServlet or a JSP page, which ultimately is a
Servlet as well.  Thus, a page never "gets displayed and continues
back to the servlet".  The page only would return to the servlet if it
has a refresh or something akin to that.

Jack

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:10:37 -0800, Ram Sriram <sriram@rstech.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I use jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19 and Apache HTTP Server 2.0.49. I am having
> problem displaying static resources such as gif. When I have gif in the
> HTML, not only it doesn't display the gif, the page also doesn't wait
> for user input. The page gets displayed and continues back to the servlet.
> I am using form elements in the page and those gets displayed properly.
> When I remove the gif from the page, everything works as expected. I
> have a feeling this is some sort of a Tomcat config issue. I am not able
> to figure what config it is and how to do the config. I looked at
> Web.xml both in the conf directory and webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF directory. I
> tried looking up the documentation in the Tomcat site and couldn't get
> much help.
> I am using XML for data from the server and XSL (and transformation) for
> generating the HTML. I don't think it has any impact, but just to
> complete the details, I am using Oracle Database with the Oracle Thin
> JDBC driver.
> Can someone help me solve this problem or point me to some reading
> material that I could refer to.
> Thanks...Ram

~Native Proverb~