tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemory Errors
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:53:35 GMT
> From: Asim Alp [mailto:asimalp@gmail.com]
> I'm trying to solve an OOME on our Tomcat.

Tomcat version?
JVM version and settings?
Application characteristics?
Other libraries in use (eg JDBC)?

> We profiled our
> application using JProfiler and there are no memory leakages on our
> end.  Currently, I'm focusing on some system resource problems such as
> file descriptors.  Would this be a valid problem on Windows Server
> 2003?  And if so, how can I change the max number of file descriptors?

I suspect someone else will give a better Java solution, but I'm a
Windows hack who's a relative latecomer to Java...

You've got 16k to go at by default.  How many are you using, according
to Performance Monitor?  And how many in the JVM running Tomcat?

> One last thing...  What other resources should I investigate for this
> sort of OOME?

http://www.sysinternals.com/ for 'handle' and Process Explorer if you
suspect a resource problem on Windows.

		- Peter