tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Doe" <mobilephant...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 -- HTTP server dies
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:38:15 GMT

>From: Ben Souther <bsouther@fwdco.com>
>To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 -- HTTP server dies
>Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:37:35 -0500
>
> > I've set it to listen on port 80.
>
>Are you running tomcat as root?
>In Unix/Linux only the root user can bind to ports below 1025.
>
>Try changing the port back to port 8080 and see if it works.

OK, after a great deal of digging into this (and some rewriting of my code
-- ahem!!) I think I'm getting to the bottom of this.

Why does my HTTP server die -- could it be ever so slightly something to do
with this call, which also explains the absence of any logging:

   System.exit(1);

(now replaced with throw new ServletException();). Which begs the question,
is this allowed? I suppose the container can't do much about dodgy code it's
hosting, but clearly code written in good faith and for all the right
reasons in this instance could cause significant problems in a shared
hosting  environment.

Is the only answer to ensure your hosted on a dedicated JVM? (Yipee! I hear
those hosting companies say.) And are there any other such gotchas
developers need to be aware of?

They say you live and learn.; hmm...

:)

Joe.