tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Doe" <mobilephant...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.0.28 -- HTTP server dies
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:14:08 GMT
I'm sure the answer to this is pretty straightforward, but I'm struggling to
see it.

I'm running 5.0.28 on Linux. I've uploaded a WAR file which is clearly
causing my problems. When I start tomcat (using the startup.sh script) if I
don't have my WAR file installed in the webapps directory nor a context file
under conf/Catalina/localhost the system starts without a problem. However,
when I try to deploy my app it seems to hang tomcat.

My question is, how do I idenfiy the problem? I've replaced every occurence
of 'debug="0"' with 'debug="99"' (I've no idea what the different debug
levels are; but 'greater than zero' seems to be the rule). I've looked at
all the files in the logs directory, and nothing gives me a clue.

The symptons are these. When it starts if I monitor the listening address
(netstat -an|grep LIST) I can see the port appear as a listening port. But
it then just disappears. I would have expected to see something in the logs
directory. logs/catalina.out simply says '...Installing...'. But it doesn't
say when it's installed, or give any messages to say it hasn't installed. I
would have expected Java exception output.

So can anyone give me any clues? Am I correct to just look under logs? I've
looked in /var/log as well, but there's nothing there. Are there any debug
hints for this sort of issue. I can't seem to get any meaningful logging out
of tomcat.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe