tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paulo Alvim" <al...@powerlogic.com.br>
Subject RES: [java] Re: FW: Tomcat 5 notably slower than tomcat 4
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:20:19 GMT
If you don't pre-compile your JSPs:

We had this kind of problem related to lowercase "web-inf" in our JSPs
tag-lib headers...TC5 always regenerates and recompiles JSP that aren't
declared using uppercase "WEB-INF"... if you have only one "Tile" with
lowercase "web-inf" it's enough to serious performance problems...

-----Mensagem original-----
De: David Stevenson [mailto:dsteven8@rochester.rr.com]
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 3 de dezembro de 2004 09:36
Para: Tomcat Users List
Assunto: [java] Re: FW: Tomcat 5 notably slower than tomcat 4

Try JDK 1.4.2_06. It has less bugs. Might be faster.

David Stevenson

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 22:25, Dan Foreman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While upgrading application servers from Tomcat 4.0.5 to Tomcat 5.0.29 I
am noticing slower browser response when hitting the tomcat
> 5 servers.
>
> We use tomcat as an application server for a data collection application.
In one of our larger installs where there are 10
> application servers, I have started upgrading to Tomcat 5 from Tomcat
4.0.5.  All 10 application servers have identical
> configuration (less disk space differences), 2x1.4GHz (SMP), Win2k, 2GB
RAM.  All 10 are running j2sdk 1.4.2_02.  Just off the cuff,
> I'd say it's 15% slower than tomcat 4.0.5.  Watching CPU performance, the
hardware is not being taxed on either the old version or
> the new one, but the time for the browser to update is slower.  I'm fairly
certain that the network is not a contributing factor as
> all servers are on the same 1 GB backbone and I'm testing to the same
endpoint over the internet.  The tomcat 5 install has no
> special configuration, no session replication (I removed the balancer,
ROOT and server web applications from the filesystem).