tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Axis and Tomcat
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:02:32 GMT

Hi,

>I use axis to connect to some webservices from my webapp. If the axis
>jar files are in WEB-INF/lib I can reload my app and everything is
fine.
>But when I moved them to CATALINA_HOME/common/lib to shrink the size of
>my war file I get a NullPointerException (stack trace follows) when the
>application has been reloaded and I try to connect to a service. The
>application runs fine until I try to connect to a webservice.

Keep your application as self-contained as possible.  Moving the Axis
jars from WEB-INF/lib to common/lib has significant classloading
implications, as you've seen ;)  Shrinking the size of your WAR should
not be a design priority, especially since you sacrifice portability
(not all containers have the concept of common/lib).

If you *have* to do it, try shared/lib instead of common/lib so that
you're not clashing with the server's libraries that are also provided
by Axis.

As to the actual NPE cause, you might want to ask the commons-discovery
folks.  But there's been an open bugzilla issue for this hooks thing for
ages.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com