tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Content-Type rewriting in jakarta-tomcat-connectors
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:30:20 GMT

Hi,

>After upgrading from tomcat 4.1 to 5.0, a critical application here has

It'd be a shame if the upgrade wasn't tested first in a test/QA
environment ;(

>In 5.0.29, this comes out as

It's also interesting that you chose a beta version of Tomcat, as
opposed to a stable version, for such an important application.
However, that's irrelevant to this discussion.

>However, the key here is that the connector (more specifically around
>line 520 in
>jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/Response.ja
va)
>is rewriting the carefully-constructed Content-Type string in a way
that
>1: I didn't ask for and 2: wasn't done in 4.1.

So you've identified the specific location of the code you need to
change.

>Given that it is highly unlikely that anyone "at the other end" is
going
>to do anything about this any time soon, and given that the solution is
>very trivial (add a space in that string composer in Response.java),
how
>are the chances of seeing this 'fixed' in an upcoming release of Tomcat
>5.0.x?

In an upcoming release, the chances are good.  But we just released
5.0.30 so 5.0.31 won't happen in the next few days.  So don't hold your
breath, especially since it sounds like this is affecting a production
instance.

You could patch only the Response class, compile it, and put it in
server/classes (which has priority over server/lib by definition), and
that way fix the problem for your immediate needs in a custom but
relatively effortless manner.

You could also consider a Filter-based approach that sets the encoding
including a charset: that way the connector won't have to rewrite/append
the charset for you at all.  And that way, your solution is portable and
does not depend on a Tomcat release.

As an aside, note that in general our implementation of these specs
(HTTP, servlet, JSP) is stricter as Tomcat evolves.  There are a number
of things that "worked" in Tomcat 4.x that may not work (or work the
same) in 5.x, so complete testing is a good idea when doing this major
version upgrade.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com