tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jonck van der Kogel <>
Subject Disabling all but the production context
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:59:30 GMT
This must get asked all the time, but I've searched very intently and
have not been able to find how to do this.

What I would like, is that the only reachable context on my server is
the production context. So let's say my domain is "",
and my web-app can be reached at "", I
would like the latter to be the only thing reachable. So if someone
goes to "" they should not get anything returned.
However, I would like these to be reachable for anyone on localhost.

Now the documentation tells me the way to do this is by adding a
<Valve> element to a Context. The help I could find on the Internet is
mostly for Tomcat 4.0 and there they refer to the contexts being
located in server.xml. I'm using 5.0.28 however, and in the server.xml
file there are no Context elements. I know the Contexts for the Manager
and Admin app can be found at $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/ ,
so there I've added appropriate Valve elements to the manager and admin
xml files. But I can't find the Contexts for the Welcome Page or the
Could someone please tell me how I restrict access the Welcome Page and
the Examples?

Thanks very much, Jonck

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: