tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Asim Alp <asim...@gmail.com>
Subject javac and Tomcat 5.5.4
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:27:19 GMT
We're using Tomcat 5.5.4 on Windows Server 2003 with Sun's jdk1.5.0.
We have over 180 virtual hosts with over 20,000 jsp files.  Our Tomcat
is running with the fork = true option for compiling the files in a
separate JVM.  Here are our JVM parameters:

-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=48m
-XX:NewSize=48m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

My first concern is about forking.  In the old days, when we were
using Tomcat 5.0.28 with jdk1.4.2, I used to see multiple instances of
javac.exe on Windows Task Manager while my JSP files where being
compiled.  Even though fork is set to true on Tomcat 5.5.4 with
jdk1.5.0, I don't see any javac.exe instances any more...  Is this
normal?

>From time to time (when there is plenty of JSP files to compile),
Tomcat suddenly shutdowns with the following error:

  <message>Background compile failed</message>
  <exception>
    <message>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError</message>
    <frame>
      <class>java.util.zip.Inflater</class>
      <method>init</method>
    </frame>
    <frame>
      <class>java.util.zip.Inflater</class>
      <method>&lt;init&gt;</method>
      <line>79</line>
    </frame>

Visualgc shows me very frequent fluctuations in Eden Space.

Any ideas?

Asim