tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Tomcat mailing list is full of non tomcat topics
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 03:05:25 GMT

Personally, it seems like truly off-topic messages get tagged pretty
quickly on this list.  I think that's a reasonable solution to handle
this problem.

As for the *root* of the problem, the VAST majority of questions come
from novice users who, predictably, don't know the difference between a
"Tomcat" question and "Servlet/JSP" question.  For most people, there
*is* no difference.  From that standpoint, it's artificial to say that
some questions are "Tomcat" ones and others aren't -- they are all
"Tomcat-related" and, as such, I feel like this is an appropriate place
to address them.  IMHO, asking a novice user to take it elsewhere would
be a fairly cruel thing to do to an already confused and potentially
frustrated user.

That said, lengthly threads that banter about the merits of various JSRs
and specs clearly don't belong here and should either be relocated or
(more likely), marked OT.

justin

At 06:56 PM 12/8/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 17:41, Roberto Cosenza wrote:
> > I'm not talking about moderating but about informing the users that
> this is
> > not the right place.
> > Many important (and related) question do not get enough attention in
> this
> > sea of messages.
> > /rob
>
>I think this page:
>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html
>does that.
>
>Specifically here:
>"Join the lists that are appropriate for your discussion.
>Please make sure that you are joining the list that is appropriate for
>the topic or product that you would like to discuss. For example, please
>do not join the Regexp mailing list and ask questions about Tomcat.
>Instead, you should join the Tomcat User list and ask your questions
>there."
>
>And here:
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>It is also customary on this list, as it is on others, to begin the
>subject of your post with [OT] or [OFF TOPIC] for threads, like this
>one, that don't deal directly with Tomcat issues.  This allows people
>who don't want to wade through off topic discussions to skip right by
>them.

Justin Ruthenbeck
Lead Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com