tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: Delivering JSPs without source
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:54:51 GMT
At 09:11 PM 11/30/2004, you wrote:
> > It would seem that if a web page request comes in for a .jsp page,
>Tomcat would have no file to compare the date against in your scheme of
>putting the compiled .jsp page in a .jar file only.

This is only done for non-compiled jsp files that are served by the
JspServlet (mapped to *.jsp in the global web.xml).  When the jsps are
precompiled, the servlets they become are mapped in your own web.xml,
meaning they are treated *exactly* like servlets and no date, compiling,
or other shenanigans are done.

>How do most companies deploy their web applications?  Do they include
>the source code for the jsps?  Almost all of the companies I have worked
>for have been very protective of their source code and won't allow it to
>be released.

I'm still not clear as to why you have to put your compiled JSPs in
common/lib.  I understand that some of your classes much be there, but
why won't you split your classes into multiple jars?  The "normal" way
this is done is to precompile the jsps, bundle them into
/WEB-INF/lib/myapp-jsp-compiled.jar, bundle the majority of your POJO to
/WEB-INF/lib/myappcore.jar, and bundle your container service
implementation classes (custom realms, valves, anything the main
classloader needs) into /common/lib/app-container.jar.  Will this not
work in your case?

justin

Justin Ruthenbeck
Lead Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.