tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <>
Subject RE: Migrating from Apache2/JK2 to Tomcat standalone
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:27:22 GMT
OK :)

> 1) Since Tomcat now will be serving all the static content as
> well, will it require more threads than when only serving dynamic content?

Same as before.

> 2) In Apache I'm using mod_rewrite to rewrite requests to
> to I've implemented this behaviour by using
> response.sendRedirect in a scriptlet in the index.jsp of my
> ROOT app. Is this the preferred way of doing this?

Depends on what you want. If you want to be your web application, that's fine,
your webapp needs to be the root web application. If you want that's
OK too. You don't need a redirect of any kind. This functionality is setup using Context element
configuration more of which is in the online Tomcat documentation :)

> 3) In Apache I'm using some aliases to serve images stored outside my
> appbase from insisde my webapp (Alias /myapp/alias
> "/path/outside/appbase"). I've implemented this by creating
> context xml
> files for all my aliases with appBase="/path/outside/appbase"
> path="/myapp/alias". Again, is this the preferred way of doing this?

Same answer, it's not "best" practice.
> 4) I've compiled jsvc and adapted the to start the
> server. If  I do " stop ; start" to do a restart of > the server
my machine hangs. If I allow a pause between stop and start then the
> server starts with no problem. Is this a known issue?

Same :)

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055