tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Migrating from Apache2/JK2 to Tomcat standalone
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:27:22 GMT
OK :)

> 1) Since Tomcat now will be serving all the static content as
> well, will it require more threads than when only serving dynamic content?

Same as before.

> 2) In Apache I'm using mod_rewrite to rewrite requests to
> mydomain.com/ to mydomain.com/myapp. I've implemented this behaviour by using
> response.sendRedirect in a scriptlet in the index.jsp of my
> ROOT app. Is this the preferred way of doing this?

Depends on what you want. If you want mydomain.com/ to be your web application, that's fine,
your webapp needs to be the root web application. If you want mydomain.com/mywebapp that's
OK too. You don't need a redirect of any kind. This functionality is setup using Context element
configuration more of which is in the online Tomcat documentation :)

> 3) In Apache I'm using some aliases to serve images stored outside my
> appbase from insisde my webapp (Alias /myapp/alias
> "/path/outside/appbase"). I've implemented this by creating
> context xml
> files for all my aliases with appBase="/path/outside/appbase"
> path="/myapp/alias". Again, is this the preferred way of doing this?

Same answer, it's not "best" practice.

> 4) I've compiled jsvc and adapted the Tomcat5.sh to start the
> server. If  I do "Tomcat5.sh stop ; Tomcat5.sh start" to do a restart of > the server
my machine hangs. If I allow a pause between stop and start then the
> server starts with no problem. Is this a known issue?

Same :)

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055