tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Errors in Log file
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:21:40 GMT
a cursory glance on Google with "tomcat java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer"

This exception occurs when a client made a request, and before receiving the full response,
either of the following happened:

client's browser has been closed.
client's connection has been disconnected.
client presses the stop button.

This exception is normally harmless. It does not seem possible to trap this exception with
J2SE.

However you say you get error 500, so perhaps are you connecting to a resource using sockets
yourself from your web app??

// -----------------------

from http://java.sun.com/features/2002/08/j2se-network.html

Connection Reset by Peer :

One of the issues that developers frequently run into is the Connection reset by peer exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.net.SocketException:
Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input stream read.

This basically means that a network error occurred while the client was receiving data from
the server. But what is really happening is that the server actually accepts the connection,
processes the request, and sends a reply to the client. However, when the server closes the
socket, the client believes that the connection has been terminated abnormally because the
socket implementation sends a TCP reset segment telling the client to throw away the data
and report an error.

Sometimes, this problem is caused by not properly closing the input/output streams and the
socket connection. Make sure you close the input/output streams and socket connection properly.
If everything is closed properly, however, and the problem persists, you can work around it
by adding Thread.sleep(1000) before closing the streams and the socket. This technique, however,
is not reliable and may not work on all systems.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474