tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: webapps ROOT folder significance
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:32:13 GMT
lol, i wasn't having a dig Remy don't be so cynical, I am just interested, and you didn't answer
my question either ;) I mean, it's not difficult of course to redeploy on another server and
rename the WAR, I don't think this is anthing sinister at all, sorry you had to think that,
I am merely curious why this is now the case in 5.5, when afterall it does tie a webapp's
naming to Tomcat's way of doing things.

Cheers, Allistair

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:remy.maucherat@gmail.com]
	Sent: Sat 04/12/2004 16:52
	To: Tomcat Users List
	Subject: Re: webapps ROOT folder significance

	On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:25:59 -0000, Allistair Crossley
	<allistair.crossley@qas.com> wrote:
	> In versions prior to 5.5, you could make your own webapp the root context by using an
empty path attribute on the Context for your web application. However, in 5.5 you cannot do
this and *must* use the ROOT folder for your web application *if* you want the web application
accessible from http://server:8080

	> I would be interested also to hear from the dev team, why a user cannot package a web
application with a webapp folder they desire and deploy this as root. Afterall, is forcing
the webapp folder name not binding the user to Tomcat?

	Yes, this is all part of a grand plan to tie users to Tomcat, and take
	over the world. Call Austin for help, it's the only hope for mankind.

	Actual solution: write a ROOT.xml file pointing to whatever docBase
	you want for your webapp (outside of the host appBase), like:
	<Context docBase="some_path_outside_of_appBase" />

	--
	xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
	Rémy Maucherat