tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Character Encodig/ CodePage Problem
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:50:59 GMT
do your jsps have these directives at the very top (although they ought to be these values
by default, certainly in servlet 2.4 spec - but I see you are using Tomcat 4, so maybe it
was different then).

<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" %>
<%@ page pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1" %>

Allistair.

-----Original Message-----
From: S.Esters [mailto:esters@saffina.de]
Sent: Wed 01/12/2004 20:08
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Character Encodig/ CodePage Problem

	Hi,
	the problem concerns the displaying of german Umlaute such as äöü The OS is
	NW65 out of the box with Apache 2.0.49 and tomcat 4.1.28, JVM 1.4.2_02.

	The german Umlaute in the servlet generated HTML-Code is not displayed
	properly even though the character-encoding in the Web-Browser is
	iso-8859-1.

	I assume that the problem is related to the TomCat Configuration or the
	combination of the OS, TomCat and Apache.
	Is it possible that this is well known problem and where can I find a
	solution for it?
	Is it possible to determine the character-encoding for an application within
	the TomCat and where can it done?
	The same servlet and request from a Unix Enviroment does work fine,
	therefore the coding can not be wrong all the way!
	Bye Soapy