tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: ANN: Tomcat for RiA (Rich Internet Application) example live. [OT]
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:09:17 GMT
Vic wrote:
> check out boardVU.com (only in IE for now).
>
> Tomcat is hosting Hessian + iBatis  as services to JNLP for JDNC (RiA)
> application at above.
> So ... tomcat does not have to be just browser dhtml apps.... (try that
> PHP!)
>
> .V

<OT>

I do something similar.  I have a package I wrote I call JMapMethods.
It's easier than RMI and doesn't use SOAP like Axis, plus it's a lot
easier than Axis, yet not as portable to remote applications considering
I use serialized java objects, though it doesn't have to, which is
nice...one could use something to serialize to XML and then other
languages could use it.

I made a map like class housing a HashMap underneith for the method call
data.  I have a client and a controller side.  Every class has a client
and a controller.  The parameters are wrapped up in serialized maps and
sent to the backend, and the return is always a JMapMethodData object.
It's up to each client/controller combo to decide how best to know which
method to call.  I usually use Strings with method names in the
map...just easier to debug.  I thought about taking the framework and
breaking out the specific bits and giving it to some open source.

Anyways, the coolest part of it's design is that it's simple.  It's
secured with logins and interfaces and the works.  Yet doesn't really
have many complex pieces to get going with.  One can take a base setup
and have remote methods and local methods being called in minutes.

The way the client and controller model is setup I have a
LocalJMapMethodCaller and I also have an HttpJMapMethodCaller.  The
client uses the caller to make the method calls.  JMapMethodCaller is an
interface, so I guess you can see where I'm going with that....you can
write one application and run it stand alone or over the internet as
long as you don't count on certain things like....object references
consistantly pointing to the same object.  So, except for pieces that
require file operations and threads it's all the same application.  A
simple test of whether or not if it's stand alone or internet based and
you know if you have to send the file or large data to the backend.

I built in zip capabilities, large multi-threaded/cross-server
capabilites...the works all event driven for large operation watching.
It's scalable basically.  For instance, I have event handlers for a
class which can zip and send a file to the backend.  The directory can
be a network drive it is stored on, and status is kept in a database.  I
call a method telling it what file to zip, where to send it, and to
extract it.  It does all of this automatically and my ui gets updated by
a thread watching the event handler.  So theirs another idea to go along
with that type of a concept.

Anyways, I hate browsers.  They just don't have near as much
functionality...like try to browse through a large list of data with a
browser compared to a JTable...or try to manage a large amount of data
remotely using a browser doing something like data entry or
accounting...ick...I hate that.  With java you can have a rich interface
and still have a nice web app....deserialize the object and set
parameters.  It works like a charm.

Maybe one day I'll actually get around to breaking it out enough so it
can be a stand alone package and I can allow it to be used by others.

If I do or don't...Java rules....of course don't forget you could always
use SOAP, XML-RPC, or just use XML through PHP for the data and what not
and do the same thing using a java front end for the PHP, or use
ASP.net, ISAPI dlls, cgi (perl or C)...you name it.  Though it makes
more sense to use java on both ends....:-P

</OT>

Wade