tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: Forwarding *all* webapps with mod_jk
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:20:10 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Simon MARTIN wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've integrated Tomcat successfully into Apache using mod_jk, but
>> there's something I've found nothing about: forwarding *all* webapps
>> with only one static statement in the configuration files.
>>
>> I've thought about something like this:
>>
>> JkMount /tomcat/* ajp13:*  (which of course is wrong I know)
>>

> You can use the mod_rewrite:
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule   ^/tomcat/(.+)$  /$1 [R,L]
> JkMount /* ajp13
>
> But this will map everything to the tomcat.
>
> You can not do (for now):
> /tomcat/examples/* -> /examples/*
> and then back to:
> /examples/* -> /tomcat/examples/*
>
> This would require that mod_jk when forwarding the request
> to Tomcat strips the '/tomcat' from the URL, and then
> after receiving the response add the '/tomcat' prefix to
> the url. Of course you will be forced to use only the
> relative url's inside your application, so the usage
> is dubious.
>
> Mladen.

Could he not do something like this...doesn't mod_jk now have the
mod_jk2 stuff in it?

I do this in mod_jk2 in the workers2.properties file

#this will allow all rsg servlets to be run through tomcat.
[uri:/*.jrsg]
info=jrsg (extension for RSG controller servlets)
context=/

I give all of my servlets an extension in their name.  Though I assume
this could be done like:

#this will allow all rsg servlets to be run through tomcat.
[uri:/*servlet*]
info= for all servlets in a servlet directory
context=/

I then make sure that the native server has the same context/path what
ever you want to call it as the tomcat web app will have.  This means
the url path will be correct for both servers.
If I have /someapp in Apache or IIS then my webapp name will be /someapp
and /someapp/servlets will house the servlets....

Can he not do something like this in mod_jk?  What would the equivalent
be?  Also, if he isn't using the version of mod_jk which has the mod_jk2
stuff merged in, I would still like to know if the merged version still
has this capability?

Hope that might help, and thanks for any other info given to the list of
a similar nature on the same topic.

Wade