tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Uusisalo <jukka.uusis...@dnainternet.net>
Subject Re: How to run servlet for every 30 minutes in Tomcat 4.1.30
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:44:59 GMT
Jorge Sopena wrote:
> Why is bad using own threads inside web application?
> Aren't all the servlet request actually a thread in Tomcat?
> I can't find a reason why it's so bad solution.

I think that comes from J2EE specs. I do not remember is threads just
forbidden but if you follow specs, you do not know and you do not have
to know how application server uses threads and controls thread
behaviour. If portability is issue for your application, it is better to
not use threads.

> In that way, you manage to have a single and independent application.
>
> Maybe I don't know some thread behaviour in Tomcat...

After all, I have use threads in web application with tomcat :) and I
haven't have any problems or strange thread behaviour. Sometimes whole
concurrent programming and syncronizing my own threads causes troubles
but nothing due tomcat.

Back to original question.

>  bernhard.slominski@zooplus.com wrote:
> I am using Tomcat4.1.30 version.
> I have to develop a client application which looks in the database every 30
> minutes,

ApplicationContextListener + Timer + TimerTask

> to retrieve the status of an order and send the status to the remote client.
> Again waits for the
> The client's response and insert the repsonse back to the database.

What is that remote client? Is actually another server and your
application is client. If so, just add client code for server in
TimerTask (http-, web service- or whatever client).

- Jukka -