tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: How to run servlet for every 30 minutes in Tomcat 4.1.30
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:02:56 GMT
Shilpa Nalgonda wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using Tomcat4.1.30 version.
> I have to develop a client application which looks in the database every 30
> minutes,
> to retrieve the status of an order and send the status to the remote client.
> Again waits for the
> The client's response and insert the repsonse back to the database.
>
> I wanted to do this in a servlet, so is there any way that i could run this
> servlet automatically inside the
> Tomcat container, or is it configurable in servlet mapping? if so can
> someone please suggest me with examples...

Well....it's kind of not extremely clear what you are asking, but why
does the servlet need to do anything except listen for a client which is
threaded to do this every 30 minutes, in other words...why not have the
servlet do what it naturally does...sit there and get hit by client
requests....get the info....and send it back?  I mean...the servlet
can't push to the client unless you want to use something besides http,
or unless you are using servlets on both ends and http servers on both
ends.  You could use keep alives I guess.....I wouldn't though....only
so many tcp/ip connections.

Wade