tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Crabtree <crabt...@otc.edu>
Subject Re: [OT] Java developer friendly Linux distro
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:58:41 GMT
Wade Chandler wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
>
>> Antony Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>   Which distro (free) is most friendly for Java development. I need
>>> J2SE 1.4.2 to work on it plus Eclipse 3.x(Linux dont have a good text
>>> editor in which I can run Ant builds).
>>

>> I use JEDIT for quick simple editing of files, and Eclipse for the
>> real stuff. A great combination. I would not advise using JEDIT
>> instead of Eclipse but I don't want to start a war now.
>> Although I am currently using Fedora Core 2, I am looking to upgrade,
>> and the folks in various Linux/Unix newsgroups are pushing me towards
>> the new Solaris 10, free from Sun. (My main Eclipse work though, for
>> now, is still on a WinXP machine.)
>> fwiw,
>> -nat

> I have tried Solaris on intel over the past recent years, and I love
> Sun, but my gripe with Solaris on intel is lack of drivers.  Look at
> CentOS or White Box Linux (www.centos.org and www.whiteboxlinux.org
> respectfully) if you like Red Hat as they are free and use the Red Hat
> source SRPMs with only stripping out the RH branding, so they are
> Advanced and Enterprise RH for free using the same source code.  SuSE is
> also very good.  I am using 9.1 at the moment.  You can purchase SuSE9.2
> Professional for 90.00US and get like 7-8 cd's and a DVD with all kinds
> of nice applications.  I've been happy with all the ones I've mentioned.
>  I run Tomcat on all of them, I use Netbeans 4.0 without issue on all of
> them, and have been developing java on all of them for years.  SuSE has
> been using the 2.6 kernel since their 9.1 release.  I've been pleased
> with it.  I've got some friends who like the Debian based distros.  To
> install a VM on them download the non RPM version of the install.
> That's about it really.
>
> Wade

I would say that the most friendly distro will be the one that you are
comfortable with.  If you are using mainstream tools such as Eclipse,
the support on most distros will at least be adequate if not friendly.
The best advice is to try a couple and see what works.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer