tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat/JVM crashes on Linux
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:32:31 GMT
Greg Lappen wrote:
> That's a good idea, I'm going to try that.  Its a cheap way to confirm
> or deny my suspicions.
>
> Thanks!
> On Dec 21, 2004, at 9:20 AM, Eric Rotick wrote:
>
>> I've not tried this myself but you could add a Runtime.addShutdownHook
>> and get it to print out anything which will give you a clue.
>>

>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:47:49 -0500, Greg Lappen <greg@lapcominc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, turns out the RAM is fine in the server.  Our hosting provider
>>> tested it last night and said it checked out fine.  Is there any other
>>> reason that the JVM/Tomcat would just exit like this?  Could
>>> System.exit() be called somewhere?  Isn't there a way to prevent
>>> System.exit() from being called?  I know I'm grasping at straws, but
>>> what else is there to do in this situation?
>>>
>>> Greg

Yoav would be able to answer this much better than I, but you should be
able to modify the security settings of Tomcat to not allow that call
from any of the web apps.  I think tomcat has it's own policy file, and
you can also add your own policies to only allow the call from certain
code bases.  In the java docs for the jdk 1.4.x look up "Policy file"
and from there you'll find all kinds of information on permissions and
code security.  You can limit only certain jar files specifically to be
able to call this method.  Which Tomcat 5.0.x might already do this....I
haven't actually tried to tell you the truth.

Wade