tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat/JVM crashes on Linux
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:28:56 GMT
Greg Lappen wrote:
> Hello-
>
> Has anyone had a problem with Tomcat 5.0.28 crashing on Linux with no
> error messages?
>
> My production server running with JDK 1.4.2_06, RedHat EL 3.0 just
> crashes, no core dump, no errors in catalina.out, no clues.  Sometimes
> it goes for days, sometimes it happens several times in one day.  I am
> running the tomcat process behind Apache 2 with mod_proxy.  Setting
> "ulimit -c unlimited" in the catalina.sh startup file still did not
> produce a core file.
>
> If nobody else has experienced this, do you have any suggestions on how
> to debug it further?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

I'm using the same setup as you less Apache2.  I use tomcat as the web
server.  Using TC5.0.28 and JDK1.4.2_06, and I have yet to have the
server crash once.  Not much help, but might give you some clues where
to look.

Connector log (mod_proxy....assuming you mean you're using the new
connector code)....is there anything in the Apache2 log?  I assume from
your post you mean that the java process just completely goes away.  You
might find (depending on the running directory of the java process
running tomcat) a pid dump log file or something...not sure if the vm
produces one of these or not.  You also might check in /var/log/messages
file to see if for some reason the kernel or some lib got some error it
logged.

Wade