tomcat-users mailing list archives

From V D <st946...@drexel.edu>
Subject Server refuse connection with many TIME_WAIT
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:17:00 GMT

I have an Axis service that runs under Tomcat 5.5.4.  I use gSoap client
to connect to the server.  After about 3960 requests from the clients,
the Tomcat stops accepting connection.  I have to wait for serveral
minutes for it to accept connections again.

This is under MS Windows XP system.  Using the command line:

netstat -a<enter>

I have about 5000 TIMEWAIT:

TCP    vd:5000                localhost:http         TIME_WAIT

Looking through TcpMonitor, both the client and server send in close
message:

CLIENT MESSAGE:

POST /axis/services/TestService HTTP/1.1
Host: 127.0.0.1:82
Connection: close
SOAPAction: ""

SERVER MESSAGE:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:04:52 GMT
Connection: close

What's going on?  Is there any flag I can set in Tomcat to close these
TIMEWAIT connections?

Looking at the clients's memory foot print, the memory does not go up at
all after all these connections.
The strange thing is this:  using Java's client to repeatedly request
the server for many thousand times, and I don't have any problem with
the server.  Using the command line "netstat -a", and I still see many
TIMEWAIT.

Could this have something to do with gSoap, not Tomcat?

Thanks,

V D