tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: Problem with Sessions...is this a Tomcat bug?
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:26:37 GMT
Gabriel Belingueres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered a weird thing:
>
> I have a Tomcat 4.1.12 running in my machine, which is called
> "ale2000", and I test my app using http://localhost:8080/xxxxxx as the
> url (not the machine name configured in Windows)
>
> When some of the html page make a request to the app, using
> http://ale2000:8080/xxxxxx, Tomcat creates other session object,
> instead of reusing the same session originally created when I call it
> the first time using http://localhost:8080/xxxxxx
>
> Is this behavior correct?
> Doesn't it better to create other session based on different IP
> addresses, instead of different machine names?
>
> TIA,
> Gabriel

Well think about what you are asking, and think how session work.
Sessions either have to work from URL rewriting or from cookies.  URL
rewriting stinks (personal opinion), and cookies work on domains.  So
basically you're limited to web technologies.  You could use URL
rewriting, but I don't like that.

Wade