tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>
Subject Re: tomcat 5 and UTF-8 encoding
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:40:31 GMT
Sarah,

I recall a post a week or so ago regarding the contentType string losing
the space after the ;

This may be causing the issue.

PJ

Sarah wrote:

>Hi,
>   I need to use jsp to display some data in Japanese character from MS SQL server database.
 I have already set the encoding in jsp to be:

><%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>
>
>If I use tomcat version 5.0.18, then the japanese character is displayed correctly.  However,
if I use 5.0.28 or 5.5.4, the characters are something like "???".  If I right click the html
page generated from jsp on the above versions, I can see the encoding to be Western instead
of "UTF-8" like what happened with 5.0.18.  Does anyone know what cause this problem and if
any configuration of Tomcat needs to be made.  Thank you very much for your help.