tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Andersson <andr...@travelstart.se>
Subject Re: web.xml
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:48:12 GMT
Allistair Crossley wrote:

 > you should be acquiring your config params in the way I show, and then
 > setting them perhaps in the application scope, or maybe a registry, or
 > whatever pattern you wish. but do not make your "normal" classes
 > attempt to access any objects like servletconfig or otherise as that
 > breaks good design.

In my opinion configuration classes should be static, just reading a
configuration file from the system in a static environment. That makes
it difficult to set parameters from the .jsp-pages or servlets.

VAN DER MARLIERE FREDERIC wrote:
 > Hi Andreas.
 >
 > You can get you parameter with:
 >
 >'request.getSession().getServletContext().getInitParameter("CONFIGFILE")'
 >
 > It first gets a reference on your application context and then gets
 > the parameter you wrote in <context-param>...</context-param>

Again, this all depends on a jsp-page. Perhaps the way to go is to have
the config class nostatic and in the application scope.

What is "best practise"?

--
Andreas Andersson
IT Dept.