tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kwok Peng Tuck <pengt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat/Java and SMP
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:53:21 GMT
Dan,
    U have 10 application servers on one machine or 10 application on 10
distinct machines ?

Dan Foreman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a setup of 10 application servers using Tomcat 4/5, jsdk 1.4.2_02, SMP, win2k.
 In watching the performance under load I am
> concerned that only one CPU is being utilized at a time.  To validate my theory I try
hitting the application server with a request
> to generate a large report and then making another connection.  The second connection
is painfully slow and task manager only
> reports a 50% CPU utilization.  After doing some reading on SMP/native threads and windows,
I wrote a test java application that
> spawns n infinite loop threads from a single JVM with a delay between each creation.
 Sure enough one cpu (task manager reporting
> 50%) and then the other cpu are consumed (task manager reporting 100%).  This test tells
me that Java is capable of using both CPU's