tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: common image practice?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:25:31 GMT
D. Stimits wrote:

> I'm looking for a "good" or "best" practice to deal with site-wide logo
> type files...things that will never change, and that every app will want
> access to. This is on linux, but enabling sym links just seems to be an
> admin/backup complexity, and duplicating logos in every project also
> seems wrong. I see the shared directory looks ideal, but apparently this
> is only for classes or libraries. Perhaps a simple logo loader class in
> the shared folder would be most convenient, but I have to wonder if
> overhead of going through a class.

You could place logos and such common stuff in a separate "globa" path,
otside all webapps (like in  the webserver ROOT). This is totally
un-self-contained.

A slight imprvement is to have a set of common classes that know what
that "global" path is, could be configurable. That would make you
semi-self-contained.

A completely self contained solution is hard to achieve, if not
impossible. How can anything OUTSIDE your webapp be a part of
self-contained module. I mean, it's outside...

Nix.