tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: JSTL/JSP/regexp Question
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:40:48 GMT
1) Allow run time expressions in the attribute declaration
2) Don't run any of the ExpressionEvaluatorManager.evaluate() statements in
your doEndTag() since all the variables were already evaluated.

An added advantage is now you can have settings of other primitives in your tag.

-Tim

Jack Lauman wrote:

> Tim:
>
> I already have both 2.3/2.4 web.xml files.  If I switch to the 2.4
> format what do I need to do with
> lines of code like this "private transient String smtpEL;" in the tag
> source?  I haven't seen any docs
> on how to convert taglibs from 1.0 using EL to 1.1 where the EL is done
> by JSP 2.0.
>
> What do I need to do here?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
> Tim Funk wrote:
>
>> If your webapp's web.xml is a 2.4 webapp. Then tomcat will do the EL
>> translations before the value is passed to your custom tag. You won't
>> have to use ExpressionEvaluatorManager because it would have been done
>> for you.
>>
>> -Tim
>>
>> Jack Lauman wrote:
>>
>>> Tim:
>>>
>>> This app is deployed with JBoss 3.2.7RC1/Tomcat 5.0.28.  The JDK is
>>> 1.4.2_06.
>>> The custom tag libraries were developed using JSTL 1.0.  I'm not sure
>>> how to
>>> convert them.  Can you use a 1.0 tag in 1.1?  Below is an example of
>>> an SMTP mail
>>> tag the I'm using.  Will this work in 1.1 or does it need to be
>>> rewritten?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jack
>>>
>>> package com.nwc.tags;
>>>
>>> import java.io.IOException;
>>> import java.io.PrintStream;
>>>
>>> import javax.servlet.jsp.JspException;
>>> import javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.BodyContent;