tomcat-users mailing list archives

From est...@saffina.de
Subject Re: RE: Character Encodig/ CodePage Problem
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:53:04 GMT
Hi,
the HTML  code is generated by a servlet and the Character encoding has been set with the
follwing code-snippet:

res.setContentType("text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"); Even the Browser says it  is the encoding.

The result after testing various Codepages :

charset=utf-8 the only difference concering the Umlaut is that the browser cannot transform
them properly, shown with an "?" instead of the wanted character.

charset=iso-8859-1 does not have the transforming problem, just that transforming result is
rather strange. (Ä = Ž; Ö = ™ ; I hope this viewed properly)

Therefore it seems that the problem is not related to the code, rather the plattform-settings.

Any hints where I can change the character setting for the tomcat?
Bye Saffina
>do your jsps have these directives at the very top (although they ought to be these values
by default, certainly in servlet 2.4 spec - but I see you are using Tomcat 4, so maybe it
was different then).

e@jakarta.apache.org