tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chirag <csp...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Chirag: java.net.SocketException: socket closed Endpoint ServerSocket
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:22:22 GMT
Yes that's true many a times people forget the basic things

Q    What OS version and service pack are you running?
Ans I have running Windows 98SE 4.10.2222 A

Q    How are you getting your IP?Are there more than one IPs on the machine?
Ans When I type IPConfig in the MS DOS Prompt. I get the following output

Windows 98 IP Configuration
0 Ethernet adapter :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . :
1 Ethernet adapter :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 203.192.192.192
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.128
        Default Gateway . . . . . . : 203.197.197.197

(IPAddresses are changed)

Q   Did you define an IP for Tomcat or is it default?
Ans Initially it was default but even after modifying I mean as the current server.xml looks
like

<!-- Example Server Configuration File -->
<!-- Note that component elements are nested corresponding to their
     parent-child relationships with each other -->
<!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents the entire JVM,
     which may contain one or more "Service" instances.  The Server
     listens for a shutdown command on the indicated port.
     Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
 -->

  <!-- Comment these entries out to disable JMX MBeans support -->
  <!-- You may also configure custom components (e.g. Valves/Realms) by
       including your own mbean-descriptor file(s), and setting the
       "descriptors" attribute to point to a ';' seperated list of paths
       (in the ClassLoader sense) of files to add to the default list.
       e.g. descriptors="/com/myfirm/mypackage/mbean-descriptor.xml"
  -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
            debug="0"/>
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
            debug="0"/>
  <!-- Global JNDI resources -->
  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Test entry for demonstration purposes -->
    <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>
    <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
         UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
          pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>
  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
       within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
       but this is not required.
       Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
       define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
   -->
  <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
  <Service name="Catalina">
    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
         and responses are returned.  Each Connector passes requests on to the
         associated "Container" (normally an Engine) for processing.
         By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is established on port 8080.
         You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 by
         following the instructions below and uncommenting the second Connector
         entry.  SSL support requires the following steps (see the SSL Config
         HOWTO in the Tomcat 5 documentation bundle for more detailed
         instructions):
         * If your JDK version 1.3 or prior, download and install JSSE 1.0.2 or
           later, and put the JAR files into "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".
         * Execute:
             %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA (Windows)
             $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA  (Unix)
           with a password value of "changeit" for both the certificate and
           the keystore itself.
         By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application calls
         request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an adverse impact on
         performance, so you can disable it by setting the
         "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When DNS lookups are disabled,
         request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the
         IP address of the remote client.
    -->
    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
    <Connector port="80"
               debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
               disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout value
     to 0 -->

 <!-- Note : To use gzip compression you could set the following properties :

      compression="on"
      compressionMinSize="2048"
      noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"
      compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml"
 -->
    <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
    <!--
    <Connector port="8443"
               acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    -->
    <Connector port="8009"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
               protocol="AJP/1.3" />
    <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8082 -->
    <!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using this. -->
    <!--
    <Connector port="8082"
               enableLookups="false"
               proxyPort="80" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    -->
    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes
         every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them
         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->
    <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via AJP ie :
    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0" jvmRoute="jvm1">

    -->

    <!-- Define the top level container in our container hierarchy -->
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
      <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging information about
           the request headers and cookies that were received, and the response
           headers and cookies that were sent, for all requests received by
           this instance of Tomcat.  If you care only about requests to a
           particular virtual host, or a particular application, nest this
           element inside the corresponding <Host> or <Context> entry instead.
           For a similar mechanism that is portable to all Servlet 2.4
           containers, check out the "RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the
           example application (the source for this filter may be found in
           "$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").
           Request dumping is disabled by default.  Uncomment the following
           element to enable it. -->
      <!--
      <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
      -->
      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared globally -->
      <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
           resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
           that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
           available for use by the Realm.  -->
                 debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      <!-- Comment out the old realm but leave here for now in case we
           need to go back quickly -->
      <!--
      -->
      <!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the following to get a Realm
           stored in a database and accessed via JDBC -->
      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
         connectionName="test" connectionPassword="test"
              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->
      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ntserver:1521:ORCL"
         connectionName="scott" connectionPassword="tiger"
              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->
      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
             driverName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:odbc:CATALINA"
              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->
      <!-- Define the default virtual host
           Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2.
       -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
      <Alias>203.192.192.192</Alias>
        <!-- Defines a cluster for this node,
             By defining this element, means that every manager will be changed.
             So when running a cluster, only make sure that you have webapps in there
             that need to be clustered and remove the other ones.
             A cluster has the following parameters:
             className = the fully qualified name of the cluster class
             name = a descriptive name for your cluster, can be anything
             debug = the debug level, higher means more output
             mcastAddr = the multicast address, has to be the same for all the nodes
             mcastPort = the multicast port, has to be the same for all the nodes

             mcastBindAddr = bind the multicast socket to a specific address

             mcastTTL = the multicast TTL if you want to limit your broadcast

             mcastSoTimeout = the multicast readtimeout
             mcastFrequency = the number of milliseconds in between sending a "I'm alive"
heartbeat
             mcastDropTime = the number a milliseconds before a node is considered "dead"
if no heartbeat is received
             tcpThreadCount = the number of threads to handle incoming replication requests,
optimal would be the same amount of threads as nodes
             tcpListenAddress = the listen address (bind address) for TCP cluster request
on this host,
                                in case of multiple ethernet cards.
                                auto means that address becomes
                                InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress()
             tcpListenPort = the tcp listen port
             tcpSelectorTimeout = the timeout (ms) for the Selector.select() method in case
the OS
                                  has a wakup bug in java.nio. Set to 0 for no timeout
             printToScreen = true means that managers will also print to std.out
             expireSessionsOnShutdown = true means that
             useDirtyFlag = true means that we only replicate a session after setAttribute,removeAttribute
has been called.
                            false means to replicate the session after each request.
                            false means that replication would work for the following piece
of code:
                            <%
                            HashMap map = (HashMap)session.getAttribute("map");
                            map.put("key","value");
                            %>
             replicationMode = can be either 'pooled', 'synchronous' or 'asynchronous'.
                               * Pooled means that the replication happens using several sockets
in a synchronous way. Ie, the data gets replicated, then the request return. This is the same
as the 'synchronous' setting except it uses a pool of sockets, hence it is multithreaded.
This is the fastest and safest configuration. To use this, also increase the nr of tcp threads
that you have dealing with replication.
                               * Synchronous means that the thread that executes the request,
is also the
                               thread the replicates the data to the other nodes, and will
not return until all
                               nodes have received the information.
                               * Asynchronous means that there is a specific 'sender' thread
for each cluster node,
                               so the request thread will queue the replication request into
a "smart" queue,
                               and then return to the client.
                               The "smart" queue is a queue where when a session is added
to the queue, and the same session
                               already exists in the queue from a previous request, that session
will be replaced
                               in the queue instead of replicating two requests. This almost
never happens, unless there is a
                               large network delay.
        -->
        <!--
            When configuring for clustering, you also add in a valve to catch all the requests
            coming in, at the end of the request, the session may or may not be replicated.
            A session is replicated if and only if all the conditions are met:
            1. useDirtyFlag is true or setAttribute or removeAttribute has been called AND
            2. a session exists (has been created)
            3. the request is not trapped by the "filter" attribute
            The filter attribute is to filter out requests that could not modify the session,
            hence we don't replicate the session after the end of this request.
            The filter is negative, ie, anything you put in the filter, you mean to filter
out,
            ie, no replication will be done on requests that match one of the filters.
            The filter attribute is delimited by ;, so you can't escape out ; even if you
wanted to.
            filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;" means that we will not replicate the session after requests
with the URI
            ending with .gif and .js are intercepted.

            The deployer element can be used to deploy apps cluster wide.
            Currently the deployment only deploys/undeploys to working members in the cluster
            so no WARs are copied upons startup of a broken node.
            The deployer watches a directory (watchDir) for WAR files when watchEnabled="true"
            When a new war file is added the war gets deployed to the local instance,
            and then deployed to the other instances in the cluster.
            When a war file is deleted from the watchDir the war is undeployed locally
            and cluster wide
        -->

        <!--
        <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
                 managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                 expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true">
            <Membership
                className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
                mcastPort="45564"
                mcastFrequency="500"
                mcastDropTime="3000"/>
            <Receiver
                className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="auto"
                tcpListenPort="4001"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"/>
            <Sender
                className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                replicationMode="pooled"/>
            <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"
                   filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;"/>

            <Deployer className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
                      tempDir="/tmp/war-temp/"
                      deployDir="/tmp/war-deploy/"
                      watchDir="/tmp/war-listen/"
                      watchEnabled="false"/>
        </Cluster>
        -->

        <!-- Normally, users must authenticate themselves to each web app
             individually.  Uncomment the following entry if you would like
             a user to be authenticated the first time they encounter a
             resource protected by a security constraint, and then have that
             user identity maintained across *all* web applications contained
             in this virtual host. -->
        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
                   debug="0"/>
        -->
        <!-- Access log processes all requests for this virtual host.  By
             default, log files are created in the "logs" directory relative to
             $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can specify a different
             directory with the "directory" attribute.  Specify either a relative
             (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired directory.
        -->
        <!--
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
        -->
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

Even when it was default it did not worked and so I added Alias word and then tried but then
also it did not worked

Thanks in advance

CSJakharia

Parsons Technical Services <parsonstechnical@earthlink.net> wrote:
Some of these questions are basic, but I have been bit many times by the
simple things.

What OS version and service pack are you running?
How are you getting your IP?
Are there more than one IPs on the machine?
Did you define an IP for Tomcat or is it default?

Doug