tomcat-users mailing list archives

From sbeam <sb...@onsetcorps.net>
Subject Re: JSTL forEach acting funny
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:06:08 GMT
On Thursday 02 December 2004 07:39 am, Allistair Crossley wrote:
> for a question on forEach I would expect you to have copied in the
forEach part ;) i am surprised if you are seeing the actual dollar
signs and braces as tomcat should be picking those up as expression
language. is there any errors in stdout? also, which scope are you
placing your results into and how are you placing those results there,
i.e what is row? what value are you suppluing items in forEach ...

> etc.. more info people!

Well its exactly like on the HOWTO page I linked to, you can see the
whole thing there, including what my web.xml and server.xml files look
like since I followed this by letter.

Actually I just found that passing a nonexistent collection token to
forEach results in the same thing - it doesn't loop, and it doesn't
error, and just outputs everything between the
<c:forEach>...</c:forEach> tags as if nothing happened. To wit:

<c:forEach var="foo" items="${thisIsANonExistentCollection}">
    foo is ${foo}<br/>
</c:forEach>

just gives me:

foo is ${foo}

in the browser. Of course this behavior differs from every reasonable
expectation of what a foreach type construct should do. So is there
some misconfiguration?