tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 Webapp logging.
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:54:40 GMT

So, you want System.out stuff to go to the stdout, is that right?  Just set up a
console appender.  Note that if you want to log to Tomcat's specially named
localhost and context loggers, you'll need to use a log4j.properties file
rather than log4j.xml because the naming pattern violates the XML spec's naming
scheme for attributes of type ID.  This is only true for Log4j-1.2.x.  In Log4j
1.3, we no longer use a DOMConfigurator, but the new JoranConfigurator which
doesn't use a DTD and, therefore, doesn't define <logger> "name" attributes as
of type ID.

You can define loggers and appenders in a way where Tomcat's info can go to a
separate log file than the stdout console or stdout log file.

Jake