tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject Re: when to use <%@include%> when to use <jsp:include>
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:09:20 GMT
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:28, Zerol Tib wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> As we know, <%@ include%> can include another jsp page
> at "translation time" while <jsp:include> can include another
> jsp at "runtime". But when to use each? Could anyone give me
> a scenario?

One small note to add to the other responses...

At one time, if you used <%@ include.... %> and you changed something in
the included file, you would have to force a recompile of all the parent
pages (pages that had the include directive).

Tomcat will now recompile the parent if an an included page is modified.
I'm not sure if that's Tomcat specific or spec driven but it's something
to be aware of if you plan on running your app in other containers as
they may not all behave this way.