tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject Re: tomcat not sending all output
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:38:03 GMT
On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 09:28, Jiang, Peiyun wrote:
> I have a servlet that is doing a lot of work. After the work is done, I send
> out information to say that the work is done. But somehow tomcat
> disconnected and the browser is not getting the whole output. I logged the
> whole process and it does run to end. If I reduce the amount of work done by
> the middle process, everything is OK. I'm confuded and could not figure out
> why. Please help.
Are you doing things asynchronously in the other class (spawning a new
thread)?

It's generally considered bad form to try to keep a browser connection
open for 5 minutes.

What I do in this type of situation is kick off the other process and
then immediately redirect the user to another page that refreshes
periodically, checking the status of the long running process.