tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Stevenson <dstev...@rochester.rr.com>
Subject Re: Badly need any hint on Illegal State exception
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:50:37 GMT
Are you using sendRedirect on your web page?
Look at DreamScreen_jsp.java, Line 564 in your Tomcat working directory.

The following is repeated from a previous response.

I believe the java.lang.IllegalStateException occurs when the responseis
committed. sendRedirect requires changing the HTTP headers
(Location:perhaps). You cannot write HTML to the web page and then issue
aredirect unless the HTML is buffered via a JSP directive:<%@ page
buffer="32kb" %>, and the response can be cleared before it isflushed
(HTTP Headers go before the HTTP body).Either don't attempt to write
HTML to the web page, or make sure yourbuffer size is big enough so that
the HTML can be buffered and clearedbefore you issue the re-direct. The
HTML will be ignored when the sendRedirect is used.

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/tags/11/syntaxref11.fm7.html
http://www.esus.com/javaindex/j2ee/javajsp/jspbufferautoflush.html

David Stevenson