tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jiang, Peiyun" <>
Subject RE: tomcat not sending all output
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:45:28 GMT
No thread in other class. Usually I'll get result in about 1 minute and I do
want immediate output. But right now it takes 2-3 minutes and it is not
awfully long. I did not expect tomcat or the browser to drop connection. I
thought of doing what you suggested, but I'm confused and I want to find out

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Souther []
Sent: December 3, 2004 9:38 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: tomcat not sending all output

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 09:28, Jiang, Peiyun wrote:
> I have a servlet that is doing a lot of work. After the work is done, I
> out information to say that the work is done. But somehow tomcat
> disconnected and the browser is not getting the whole output. I logged the
> whole process and it does run to end. If I reduce the amount of work done
> the middle process, everything is OK. I'm confuded and could not figure
> why. Please help.
Are you doing things asynchronously in the other class (spawning a new

It's generally considered bad form to try to keep a browser connection
open for 5 minutes.

What I do in this type of situation is kick off the other process and
then immediately redirect the user to another page that refreshes
periodically, checking the status of the long running process.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: